To be a leader is to have the ability to impact other people’s lives. It’s not about the title, the status, or the amount of money you make; it’s about being a positive influence on those around you. That’s why it doesn’t just appear in the boardroom. There are leaders everywhere — even in the most unexpected places. This week, podcast host and author Jason Romano talks about the importance of servant leadership and how understanding people’s unique value makes a better team.
He shares personal stories of his time working at ESPN as a talent producer and in other roles. One of his most pivotal moments came when a job he wanted went to the other finalist instead of him. It was a moment that underscored the importance of humility and of supporting others in success. It was also a chance to see disappointment as a path to new opportunity, which he has carried with him ever since.
Key Moments You Don’t Want to Miss:
- Writing Inspiration How Jason Romano used practical application as a building block for his book about working at ESPN.
- Chance Through Change When missing out on a promotion became a pivotal moment of opportunity for him.
- Finding Common Ground How a series of workplace team-building activities led to long-term confidence and camaraderie.
- The Face of Leadership How Romano learned leadership takes many forms and anyone with the will and right attitude to lead can do so successfully.
What You’ll Learn:
- Embrace servant leadership
- See disappointment as opportunity
- Understand the value of team-building
- Don’t be too quick to give up
- Find purpose in what you do
“Leadership is not about title or status. Leadership is about influence; it is about the opportunity to impact other people’s lives.” -Jason Romano
“One of the big lessons I’ve learned is to stay faithful and stay adding.” -Jason Romano
- You can find out more about Jason Romano and his work on his website, https://www.jasonromano.com/.
- Be sure to check out his latest book, The Uniform of Leadership: Lessons on True Success from My ESPN Life.
- You can also follow him on Twitter and Instagram @jasonromano.
- Find more about Sports Spectrum online at https://sportsspectrum.com/ or on social media @sports_spectrum.
Mentioned This Week:
- Author, John Maxwell
- Author, Simon Sinek