From his humble beginnings in Pennsylvania to his successful acting career in Hollywood, Dan Cortese has walked many different paths in life. He worked the graveyard shift at a steel mill to put himself through college and left home to pursue the California dream. He landed a job as the host of MTV Sports and later became a well-known side character on the popular show, Seinfeld. He’s since written a book documenting his journey and looking at the power of positivity. This week, he shares his story of growth and change and reminds us to always be grateful for the opportunities we have.
He recalls a moment at the steel mill when he considered dropping out of college. He wasn’t sure how his future would look or if he’d find success in acting. A coworker reminded him that in going to college, he was already in the process of achieving something others worked hard to get. He took the lesson to heart and moved across the country to reach his goals. After gaining popularity on television, he once again had to reevaluate the direction his life had taken. Now, his goal is simple, but valuable: to be a little bit better each day.
Key Moments You Don’t Want To Miss:
- From Screen to Story How Dan Cortese went from MTV Sports host to actor to author
- Journey to Fatherhood Why he learned to enjoy every moment and appreciate the process
- Humble Beginnings How working in a steel mill in Pennsylvania showed him the importance of gratitude and thankfulness
- Embracing Change When he considered quitting college and heard a life lesson from a coworker he’s never forgotten
What You’ll Learn:
- See challenges as chances for growth
- Don’t play the comparison game
- Hold yourself accountable to having a healthy mindset
- Learn to live in the hard moments, as well as the good
- Find out who you want to be and work toward it
“My goal for tomorrow is to be a little bit better man than I was today.” -Dan Cortese
“You need to be honest with yourself. Be aware of what type of person you want to be and what type of life you want to lead. And then in doing so, if you are honest with yourself in doing that, then you need to look at the people that you surround yourself with.” -Dan Cortese
You can find out more about Dan Cortese on his website here. You can also follow him on Instagram and Twitter @DanCortese. Be sure to check out his new book, Step Off: My Journey from Mimbo to Manhood.
Mentioned This Week:
- Christopher J. Wirth and No Quit Living.
- The Power of Positive Leadership: How and Why Positive Leaders Transform Teams and Organizations and Change the World by Jon Gordon